February 15, 2018
American Heart Month
Did you know that February is American Heart Month? This is a great time to learn about heart disease, the leading cause of death for both men and women in our country. In fact, in the United States, someone has a heart attack every 40 seconds! Each minute, more than one person in the United States dies from a heart disease-related event. The statistics are scary, but they are real. That’s why it’s so important to learn as much as you can so you can protect yourself and your loved ones, and become aware of what to do if you or someone you love experiences any heart-related issues. Here are some important topics and guidelines you can follow (in no specific order!):
- Promote Heart Health - Bringing attention to this cause is a great way to spread awareness. Wear red, share statistics with family and friends, visit your doctor regularly, and stay social (You can follow the American Heart Association and the CDC on Facebook for up-to-date information!).
- Know Your Risks - Obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, excessive alcohol use, and family history are all key risk factors for heart disease. Know your risks and lower the ones that you have control of!
- Stay Active - This is a wonderful way to lower your blood pressure, reduce stress, and to exercise a very, very important muscle in the body - your heart!
- Eat Right - Nutrient-rich, clean, healthy foods can also lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Too much excess fat in your diet (and on your body) puts extra pressure on your heart, which means your heart must work harder, which can lead to heart disease.
- Enjoy Life! Less stress is less strain...on your heart. Lucky for you (and us!), camping season is right around the corner!
When you feel your best, you can be your best. We wish you a healthy, happy heart month and we can’t wait to see you for Opening Day; this is going to be a great camping season! Sources: www.cdc.gov www.heart.org
February 10, 2018
Love Is In the Air
February is here and Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Some of us already have big plans, gifts purchased, and love notes written. Others (we’re not pointing fingers) are a little less prepared and are scrambling to find the perfect gift for their special someone. Love is in the air - and camping season is right around the corner! So, we’re here to help with potential gift ideas and Valentine’s Day inspiration. Think of this blog post as cupid’s arrow leading you in the right direction to make the day perfect for your camping loving Valentine!
- These gift ideas are heavy (not literally, that’s the name of the website!) and perfect for your outdoorsman Valentine! Useful, high-tech, fun gifts like tents, knives, and hammocks (really cool ones!), just to name a few. Check ‘em out!
- Make your Valentine a happy camper with these with ideas from this camping gift guide!
- This British website may not get you your order in time for the big day, but there are tons of camping-related items that you can use as inspiration for purchasing your Valentine’s gifts. Their products are simple yet exciting; check it out.
- Here are some great gift ideas for your camping Valentine, courtesy of PopSugar! We know that she will love any one of these outdoorsy gifts.
- Enter Gear Guy on Outside Online with answers to one very important question...What are the best Valentine’s Day gifts? We think you’ll like what he has to say!
Whatever you decide to do for your Valentine, we know they’ll appreciate it! After all, Valentine’s Day isn’t about what you buy or get as a gift; it’s about spending time with your loved one(s) and celebrating LOVE….and the fact that camping season is a stone’s throw away! We are counting down the days (and we know you are, too). Can’t wait to see you in the spring, friends! And Happy Valentine’s Day!
January 25, 2018
RV There Yet?
RV there yet?? RV camping is a big part of who we are as a resort (obviously!). Our camping families spend many days and nights in their RVs, so we decided to take this opportunity to talk all things RV - and share some great tips! We found some Pin-worthy RV tips that we think you’ll all enjoy - and we linked to each tip so you can Pin them, too. It’s time to get your camper ready for the upcoming spring camping season! Woo hoo!
- These Tips for Organizing Your RV are genius! An organized area makes for a happier camper (or so we’re told!) so get your storage bins and label maker ready. These tips will also give you more space in your camper!
- We’d scream it from the rooftops if we could, “We’re Pet Friendly,” because it means so much to us and our camping families. After all, many of your four-legged family members are just as important as your two-legged ones! That’s why we love these Tips for Dog Owners.
- Since you do live in your RV when you’re camping with us, here are some great RV Living Tips that you can bring with you this camping season. There are some good ideas and helpful inspiration to help you make the most of your living space.
- An RV is a BIG investment! Here are some RV Maintenance Products that you can use to keep your home/vehicle/investment in tip-top shape.
- With OVER 60 RV living hacks, makeover tips, and renovation ideas, we think that you will definitely find this Pin helpful and exciting!
Pin away camping friends; we think these tips will keep you very busy!! It’s time to get your RVs ready for those long camping days and nights. We can’t wait to see you and your family around our resort! Contact our resort if you, your family, and your RV are ready to plan your next camping adventure!
January 18, 2018
The Winter Blues
We’re here (with our winter coat, hat, and gloves on!) for our final installment of our Ways to Beat the Winter Blues blog series. We hope you enjoyed Parts 1 and 2 and they’re keeping you just a little bit warmer, inside and out!
There is still plenty of cold weather left this season so we’re here with our final tips to keep your mind, body, and soul warm as can be for the rest of the winter!
- EMBRACE THE SEASON! They say if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em - and we agree...we’re throwing in the towel! Go skiing, take the kids sledding, build a snowman, “enjoy” your time in the crisp cool air. The kids will love it, memories will be made, and you may just forget how much the snow days and blizzards cramp your style.
- JOURNAL! Sometimes it’s easier to write down your feelings rather than saying them out loud. It’s therapeutic to sit for a few moments to jot down what you’re thinking, what you’re feeling. We’re always so busy, going 100 mph, it’s nice to sit and connect with yourself. You may actually learn something or, at the very least, find yourself in a better mood!
- PLAN FOR SPRING! Warm weather, flowers in bloom, a cheerfulness in the air. We have two words...CAMPING SEASON! Don’t wait; plan that camping vacation now. You and your family deserve it - especially after the winter we’ve had! Campers wait all winter long for opening day. We have a great idea….celebrate the spring with us at our resort!
We hope you find it easier to beat the winter blues with our 3-part blog series! We’re really looking forward to camping season and we are so excited to see our resort full of happy, joyful families and friends - memories await you!
January 12, 2018
How To Beat The Winter Blues
We hope you enjoyed Part 1 of our Ways to Beat the Winter Blues blog series. At this point in the season, we’re still willing to try just about anything to stay warm, cozy, and sane! We’re trying to appreciate this chilly season while dreaming of the colorful, warmer days of spring.
Since it’s still so cold outside, we want to share more tips and tricks to help you keep your ‘cool’ during winter. We’re here with Ways to Beat the Winter Blues: Part 2.
- STAY ACTIVE! Movement creates warmth in the body; it’s true! When you’re cooped up inside, it’s easy to feel unmotivated. You will feel better physically and mentally when you stay active. If you can’t get outside or to the gym, get in a workout indoors! Walk the mall or follow a free YouTube workout video. Put on some music and dance with the kids (like nobody's watching)!
- LOOK AT OLD PICTURES & VIDEOS! Nostalgia warms the heart. Sitting around the kitchen table with family and friends reminiscing about the past feeds your soul. Try it!
- EAT RIGHT! It’s easy to get into a slump. Comfort foods taste pretty darn good - hence the term ‘comfort’ foods. And, like we always say, once in a while, it’s OK. Moderation is definitely key. Make a grocery list with lots of fruits, veggies, healthy fats, and protein and only shop off of your list! Also, don’t go shopping hungry. When you make a meal, prepare enough to last a few days so you have leftovers easily accessible. You feel better from top to bottom when you’re eating good-for-you foods!
- ENJOY HOT FOODS & DRINKS! A great way to warm the body? From the inside out! Hot cocoa, tea, crockpot meals...they’re all delicious ways to warm up. Stick with clean, healthy options that will keep you feeling light and fresh!
We hope you enjoyed Parts 1 & 2 of our Ways to Beat the Winter Blues blog series. Stay tuned; we’ll see you next time with our third and final installment!
January 4, 2018
Cold Winter Weather Blues
Let us start off by saying: Happy New Year to all of our awesome camping families! We are very excited for 2018 and we hope you are too!
We’re getting really sick (no pun intended!) of this cold winter weather, but spring is still over two months away! That means a lot more snow, ice, and frigid temps. Winter can be, well, sad and dampen the mood. The gloomy, cold weather can affect your mind, your body, and your spirit! So, we’re going to try to help you fight the funk!
We’re here with Part 1 of our new blog series, Ways to Beat the Winter Blues.
- MEDITATE! Even if only for a few minutes when you first wake up in the morning, you will benefit from a moment of silence and reminder to be more mindful, grateful, and present. There are apps that you can download or books you can purchase if you need some guidance in this department. Even if you just sit with your legs crossed, your eyes closed, and try to clear your mind, you’re meditating!
- STAY CONNECTED! Text, call, or use social media to stay in touch with family and friends around the country. It’s easy to want to pull away (especially from those living in warmer climates!), but it will definitely brighten your mood to catch up with people, near and far.
- PLAN INDOOR ACTIVITIES! Cards, board games, tackling a DIY home project that you’ve been avoiding, starting a new book….these are all great ways to plan your time indoors!
- STICK WITH A ROUTINE! It’s easy to be lazy and want to stay in your pajamas all day. And, once in a while, that’s totally OK! But you’re more likely to feel better when you keep with your normal routine. Give yourself a purpose to get up, get dressed, and leave the house. You’ll be happy you did!
We hope you enjoyed Part 1 of our Ways to Beat the Winter Blues blog series. Stay tuned; we’ll see you next time with Part 2!
December 27, 2017
The holiday season ends with a giant leap into the new year! While we can’t believe 2017 is already over, we’re excited for the new adventures that 2018 will bring. It may sound cliche, but January 1st is the perfect time to make and implement new resolutions to feel, act, and be a better version of you!
- Put Down Your Electronics!
Social media, emails, texts….they’re important, we understand that. But just as you do for your kids, you should limit your own screen time. We’ve become accustomed to having our smartphones available 24/7 but when you’re at the dinner table, family game night, or in the car, you DON’T need your phone out. Otherwise, you’ll miss a lot of important moments in 2018!
- Make Better Choices!
Water instead of sugary sodas, grilled, lean meats instead of fried foods, we know which are the better choices; it’s following that is the true challenge! Recruit family members and friends for accountability so you can help each other in the process.
- Move More!
A healthy body, a healthy heart, a healthy mind! There really are only positive benefits that come from starting an exercise program. Start small, like walking around the block, and build up to more substantial workouts; maybe set a goal to run a 5K by the time fall hits!
- Learn To Say No!
When we overextend or overwork ourselves, we get overwhelmed. That causes stress, stress, stress! We’re here to tell you that you don’t have to say yes to everyone about everything. Set the tone for a less stressful year and learn to say no when it’s appropriate!
- Camp More!
We think this one’s pretty obvious! Make more memories, have more family time, laugh more, bond more, relax more...CAMP MORE! We want to say THANK YOU to our entire camping family for a fun, adventurous, memorable 2017. We look forward to another great year at our resort - we hope to see you there!
December 22, 2017
Party Time For The Holidays
2017 is almost coming to a close and the next few weeks are busy with Christmas and New Year’s Eve. That means a lot of fun, a lot of celebrating, and a LOT of food and drinks! It’s party time! Whether you’re planning to be the hostess with the mostess or you’re in charge of bringing something to a soiree, you need to find dishes that are festive, delicious, and easy-to-make - we are running seriously low on time these days! We’re here to share HUNDREDS of recipes that will be sure to leave a smile on every face in the room! Apps:
- Taste of Home has some seriously festive recipes with bacon and cheese and salmon and more! There are 40 awesome options to choose from - you’ll find something for everyone on this list.
- Even if you wait until the last minute, any one of these 60 recipes will do! Little on prep, big on flavor, and very sophisticated! Perfect for your NYE party!
- Spice up your options with these 50 New Year’s Eve party-approved appetizers. These may just be the highlight of the bash.
- With about 90 festive recipes, you’re sure to find a few entrees that will be perfect for your Christmas dinner! Don’t feel obligated to do a big main course, though. These holiday parties are usually all about the apps and drinks!
- Appropriate for the kids but delicious for all ages. These simple recipes will please everyone around!
- Deliver festive cheer in the form of delicious drinks! Try these specialty holiday cocktails this season.
- These drinks may put you on the naughty list; you’ll just love ‘em! Or, if you’d like, you can make them without alcohol. Either way, they’ll taste great!
No matter what you decide to put on your holiday menu, togetherness is the most important part of your party! Everyone will enjoy WHATEVER you put out. We promise you that!
December 14, 2017
Family, friends, holiday traditions...memories that will last a lifetime! Special family traditions are a great way to celebrate the holidays, spend time together, and link across generations. Every family has different traditions, unique in their own way. We’re here to discuss some holiday traditions that your family may or may not celebrate. Maybe you’ll pick up some new ideas to start this holiday season!
Family Pictures There is no better way to capture the holidays! Taking family photos are a wonderful way to get the family together and document those special moments. And you can print out the pictures and put them up in your home to enjoy all year long! It’s wonderful to look back and see how each person has changed over the years.
Gingerbread House Contest You can buy fairly inexpensive gingerbread house kits. Pair up your family members and friends and build away! The family gets to spend good, quality time together - laughs and a bit of a mess are almost guaranteed, but it’s all part of the fun!
Cookie Exchange Everyone makes a few dozen cookies and then you get together to share them with your friends! Each person gets a taste of each cookie. It’s a delicious way to spend time with friends. And, don’t fret - you can find super easy-to-follow and easy-to-make recipes online!
Elf on a Shelf This one is a BIG one! Kids just love the idea behind Elf on a Shelf, and parents do, too. Santa’s elf spends the month in your home, watching the children to make sure they behave and that Santa can put them on the ‘Nice List’ so they get lots of awesome presents. After, all the Elf reports right back to Santa!
Holiday Movies Marathon Elf, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, and Home Alone (1 and 2!) are just a few of the movies to put on your must-see list! Plop down on the couch with pillows, blankets, and popcorn and let your errands and chores wait. It’s all about relaxation and togetherness with this tradition! Tell us: What are your family traditions during the holiday season? Happy Holidays!
December 13, 2017
Hello December. We’re so happy to see you as we are SO ready to welcome the holiday season! The holidays are about a lot of things….family, friends, traditions, memories, presents, and delicious food, just to name a few! We will touch on a handful of these topics in later blog posts this month but today we’re talking desserts. We’re sharing some scrumptious sweets that will be perfect for your family and friends. We’ll even throw in a few options that you can prepare for Santa and his reindeer!
- Decadent is the theme for these holiday desserts! Real Simple shares 25 very different options that you can choose from. Cupcakes and cakes are a perfect dessert option for an intimate dinner or a big party of guests! Check out the easy to follow recipes here.
- What’s better than 25 recipes? Double that! Woman’s Day is ready to make your holiday even merrier with over 55 easy holiday recipes that are fun, very festive, and delicious! Check them out here and pick your favorites to test out this holiday season.
- Other than buying it, what’s the easiest way to make dessert? Follow no-bake recipes! Less time, less effort, but same big flavors. Check out 12 easy, no-bake recipes here - hey, that’s one recipe for each of the 12 days of Christmas!
- Rumor has it that Santa loves cookies! We want to make the most delicious cookies for him this season so he’s sure to leave the best presents under our Christmas Tree. Follow our lead and check out these recipes from delish...they’re guaranteed to make Old Saint Nick extra jolly. Remember to leave Santa a glass of milk, too!
- And last, but certainly not least, a little something for Santa’s reindeer! Rudolph and his friends are flying all over the world in one short night; they must be tired and hungry. We’re happy to report that carrots are like candy to reindeer! So, remember to put out a few carrots next to Santa’s cookies on Christmas Eve.
We hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season. We send good holiday cheer to our entire camping family!
November 28, 2017
Awesome Gift Ideas
Now that Thanksgiving is over, we’re excited to move on to the most wonderful time of the year! We hope you’re in the holiday spirit because we’ll be touching on some fun, festive topics over the next month or so. Today, we’ve compiled some awesome gift guides to help you start your holiday shopping. We’re sharing dozens of must-have gift items for everyone on your list this season! Let us know what you think of these ideas.
- FOR THE CAMPER:
- The “outdoorsy” type on your list will love these gifts from REI. Check out the new tents, chairs, accessories, and more: http://ow.ly/nYsG30gRCGj
- These gift ideas are perfect for your favorite RVers - or get a little something for yourself! These suggestions are too cute to miss: http://ow.ly/BhsO30gRCYl
- FOR THE TECH LOVER:
- This gift guide gives you 50 AWESOME ideas for the techie! From toys to watches to accessories, there’s literally something for everyone on this list! http://ow.ly/TIDl30gRDLa
- FOR THE PET LOVER:
- The true pet lover considers their pet to be a part of their family. They treat their dog or cat like a child, and we think that’s pretty cool! Here are some awesome gift ideas for the pet lover in your life! http://ow.ly/VF0S30gRDWN
November 17, 2017
National Family Literacy Month
We spend a lot of time here on our blog talking about light & fun topics like holiday decor, sweet treats, and camping tips! Today, we’re taking a bit of a detour because we think this issue is too important to ignore. Many of us take our ability to read for granted. It’s like being able to breathe or speak - it just happens. Unfortunately, illiteracy is a very serious issue in our country.
Statistics show that over 30 million adults in America are considered to be illiterate - that’s over 1/8 of the entire adult population that cannot read.
So, since November is National Family Literacy Month, we are shedding some light on this issue, why it is so important, and what you can do to help, or get help!
What is family literacy?
Family literacy programs use a family-focused approach to education, increasing the skills of both the parents and the children; it’s the wonderful idea of parents and their children engaged in learning together! It encourages parents to prioritize their own education so they can be more involved in in their children’s learning and literacy.
There are three basic components to a family literacy program: adult education (such as reading, writing, GED and ESL programs), parenting education (which helps families participate in their children’s education), and early childhood education (for preschoolers).
How can you help or get help?
You can donate to ProLiteracy here to support awareness and advocacy programs. "The National Center for Families Learning’s mission is to address our nation's literacy challenges by engaging all family members in learning, with a primary focus on parents and children living in poverty."
To help you celebrate National Family Literacy Month, click here to view the National Center for Families Learning’s most-popular educational tools and resources designed to help families, educators, community leaders, and librarians facilitate two-generation learning.
Sources: http://familieslearning.org https://proliteracy.org http://www.readingrockets.org
November 10, 2017
By now, your Halloween decorations are already down. It’s on to the next chapter of the holiday season: Thanksgiving! It’s hard to believe that there are only a couple of months left until 2018. Either way, we’re knee deep in the holiday spirit - and ready to put up some new festive autumn decorations! There are plenty of easy, inexpensive ways that you can decorate your home this month. Who doesn’t love a little DIY project, or two? We’re here to share some of our favorites!
You can do these on a lazy Sunday afternoon, with the kids, with items you may have around the house or that you can grab from any craft store. It may take more effort than just buying the decorations, but they mean more because you took the time to craft them yourself!
LEAF GARLAND: This garland can be placed on your mantle, in your kitchen, or on your front porch! Fabric scraps, scissors, and string are all you really need to create this decor! Click here for step-by-step directions.
TIN PUNCHED VOTIVE CANDLES: This is a fun one, looks very expensive, and can be completely customized! These votives are the perfect centerpiece for your dining table or decor on your mantle! Click here for the step-by-step directions.
CANDY CORN ART: If you still have Halloween on the brain (we do!), this piece of art is for you! Orange, yellow, and white buttons - along with a few other items - are used to create a gigantic (non-edible) version of one of our favorite Halloween treats! Click here for the step-by-step directions.
PUMPKIN SPICE CANDLES: Pumpkin spice is a MAJOR reason for the season! Fill your home with this delicious fragrance with these scented candles. Use amber-tinted glass jars to get the full fall effect. Click here for the step-by-step directions.
Decorating for the holiday season is a foolproof way to get everyone in the spirit! Tell us your favorite fall decor or let us in on which DIY project you plan to try!
Photo credit: A Beautiful Mess
November 3, 2017
World Vegan Month is All November Long!
World Vegan Day was on the 1st, but we’re celebrating World Vegan Month all November long! Veganism is becoming more and more popular across generations, but what exactly IS a vegan? What do they eat? Are they constantly hungry because they ‘can’t’ eat much? We’re here to debunk the myths and set the facts straight on this popular diet plan!
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE VEGAN?
A vegetarian doesn't eat meat or fish, but may allow eggs and dairy in their diet. A vegan takes this practice a step further, cutting out EVERY food that originated from an animal including meat, dairy, eggs, honey, etc. Some vegans extend their practice to exclude products and items that originated from an animal, as well, making it more of an overall lifestyle transformation. This would include leather, wool, fur, cosmetics, toiletries, and more.
WHY BECOME A VEGAN?
Animal welfare and environmental concerns are two big reasons to follow a vegan-based diet. A vegan diet can also reduce the risk of certain diseases, including hypertension, heart disease, and certain cancers.
WHAT CAN A VEGAN EAT?
Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, and grains are all on the OK list. There are also various types of almond-based or soy-based products, such as cheese, meat, and milk, that are vegan-approved. There are tons of foods that vegans can now enjoy!
"It's basically no dairy, no meat, everything is just plant based and just from the ground. I love that I'm eating more greens. It makes you feel so much better." - Jennifer Lopez, Singer/Actress
According to GLAMOUR Magazine UK, other famous vegans include Brad Pitt, Beyonce, and Ellen DeGeneres. The list goes on and on.
For more info on the the vegan lifestyle, click here to see PETA’s very helpful infographic!
We’ll end with this note: People have different interpretations of being a vegetarian or a vegan. Everyone is entitled to follow the diet/lifestyle plan that they are comfortable with. We are just here to give some commonly found information on this specific diet plan.
Tell us: Are you a vegan? Is this diet plan right for you?
October 26, 2017
Halloween is so close, we can almost touch it. If we haven’t told you already, we just LOVE Halloween. There are so many ways to enjoy this fun, festive, spooky (or not-so-spooky) day! We’ve covered Halloween decor, party treats, costumes, and party beverages in our recent blog posts. These posts are packed full of ideas to help you have the most successful, exciting Halloween adventure!
Today, we’re wrapping up our series with the final piece of the Halloween puzzle: CANDY! Which candies are the most popular? What are the healthiest options? We’ve got all the answers.
MOST POPULAR OPTIONS:
According to POPSUGAR, kids ranked their favorite candy and the top 8 results were pretty surprising (ie: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups did NOT make the list!). Sweet treats like Smarties, Starbursts, Skittles, and Nerds made the cut, as did some chocolate favorites like M&Ms and Twix. To see the full list, click here.
Not all candy is created equal - in terms of heart health and calorie count! There ARE better choices that you can make. You’ll be happy to hear that tons of delicious & popular options made the Greatist list of 20 healthier Halloween candy. Dark chocolate, Twizzlers, even Reese’s made it on the list - click here to see the healthiest Halloween candy choices!
THE “LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT” CANDIES:
We have 2 words: candy corn. We could debate all night about it but if you love it, you love it, and if you don’t, there is no changing your mind - and there’s no in-between! Same seems to be true for some nostalgic Halloween treats: candy buttons and circus peanuts.
Candy isn’t the only option; there are plenty of other things that you can hand out to trick-or-treaters. Play-doh, temporary tattoos, stickers, and bubbles, just to name a few, are great ideas. Consider joining the Teal Pumpkin Project movement, which raises awareness of food allergies and promotes inclusion of all trick-or-treaters throughout the Halloween season. Make your home a safe spot for all kids!
We hope you have a very Happy Halloween! Tell us: what is your FAVORITE Halloween candy?